Thursday, May 24, 2012

Item #7 on My To Do List- Check!

I made button magnets!!! 
Now I am ready to share them with you and let you know how easy it was to make them!  I am going to provide step by step directions although I am sure many of you can figure it out on your own. 

**Please note that I edited all of these pictures while working on a post for my other blog, hence the www.mybeautyboxes.com labels on the pictures.  Rather than go back and redo this (which would take FOREVER), please just ignore my blunder while I get used to having 2 blogs.  Thanks for your patience!** 


First, here are the supplies you will need:

1. Buttons of various colors and sizes
2. Thread
3. Round Magnets
4. Scissors
5. Hot Glue (If Desired)



Step 1:
Pick out buttons for your magnet

Step 2:
Pull thread in a color of your choice through the back of one of the holes of the bottom button.

Step 3:
Pull the thread through a hole in the back of the next button. Then slide the top button onto the bottom button as shown in the 2nd picture.


Step 4:
Pull the thread through the diagonal hole in the top button.

Step 5:
Pull the thread through the diagonal hole of the 2nd button (If you are good at lining up the buttons, you can pull through both buttons at once to save time).

Step 6:
Pull the thread tight on both ends.
The back should look like this:

The front should look like this (Notice how the holes match up?):


Step 7:
Pull either side of the thread through the back an empty hole beside it.  Make sure it goes through both buttons.

Step 8:
Once the thread is pulled through to the front, send it down through the last remaining hole.

Step 9:
Pull the thread tight so that it makes an x on the front of the buttons.

Step 10:
Tie the thread in a knot 2-3 times in the back to keep the thread in place.

Step 11:
Cut the excess thread.

Step 12:
If your magnet has adhesive, remove the white tab to expose the stick side.  If it is not self adhesive, you can use a glue gun to adhere the button to the magnet.  You may choose to use a glue gun anyway if you want the strongest bond.

Step 13:
Attach the button to the magnet.

Step 14:
Push the button and magnet together tightly to ensure a strong bond and voila!


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

3 comments:

  1. First off, I want to say that you made me want to make some of those super cute button magnets! Thank you for the step by step tutorial!

    Second...What nail polish is that? SO pretty!

    Miss A's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mind if I share this on my Classroom projects pinterest board?

    So cute! And if I have the buttons out anyway, maybe I'll actually catch up on my mending too! ;-)

    Teaching FSL

    ReplyDelete